Friday, February 7, 2014

Design Your Life Twenty Somethings!

So I've been in what I call my quarter life crisis (or its the birth control or it's just that your twenties are like your adolescent teen years but for adult hood) … it usually comes around the age I am now, 25 and it's a little intimidating even trying to imagine the next 5 years until 30!


But when I think back to when I was a kid, I couldn't even imagine the age I am now.. I couldn't imagine leaving home, paying all my bills, especially rent, taxes, trying to find the right job for me… it just seemed so far away and the comfort of being at home with minimal worries like, "Will Ashley invite me to her birthday?" was my biggest concern.


But as I ventured into my twenties, (and even got married young right after high school then divorced by 24), I was slapped with REALITY. I don't think high school can prepare you for the REAL WORLD (what a shame too, all those years… and I still wasn't ready) like jobs, bills, how to have successful relationships, mental and emotional health… did I even mention physical health?



Here's the thing.

I've heard it time and time again… "You're only 20 something, YOU'VE GOT TIME!! WHY ARE YOU SO WORRIED, Whats the RUSH?" 

I realize there's time. I get that. But time isn't something we can control, it's not something you can borrow, buy, give back, take back, reverse, or speed up. Time is out of our hands, the only control you have over time is what you do with each moment.



I've seen and talked to so many people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. And YES, a lot them have lives they are enthusiastic about and feel true happiness. Isn't that what we are REALLY after anyway?

But I've also had my fair share of those who aren't all that thrilled with the path they have been on… and I'm a FIRM believer that the choices you made YESTERDAY shape your TODAY… and the choices you make TODAY shape your TOMORROW.

What really drives me insane is the jokes about our generation, that were lazy and narcissist… it may ring true for some in our generation, but applying a label like that to define us all is ridiculous.. our generation will soon be leading this country, don't we deserve a chance to place our own labels?

Like: ENTREPRENUER, DO-ER, PHILANTHROPIC, WRITERS, LEADERS, DREAMER? I mean there's so many to choose from that could better describe us, do not place a negative label on the people who CAN and WILL make a difference.



Our twenties are a time to figure out what WE WANT-- in our careers, who we want to befriend, where we want to travel, who we want to date or eventually marry, how much money we want to save, invest or spend, where we want to work, for how long, what kind of income we want to attract, our religious beliefs, our values, our priorities.

Our twenties are the many wonderful and colorful spools of yarn that we begin to sew into the tapestries of our lives… we have to carefully choose each thread and needle to design our lives so that our futures are what we CREATED them to be.

So if you're reading this in your twenties, and maybe you're wondering and thinking to yourself, "What do I want? Who do I want to be? Where do I Want to work?" and all of life's gnawing questions, watch this video below…

Your twenties means ACT NOW. It doesn't mean figure it out in your thirties. This is YOUR life. How will you DECIDE it?










1 comment :

  1. "the time to work on your marriage is BEFORE you have one." so true!! I loved this Abby, thank you <3

    ReplyDelete