Saturday, April 20, 2013

What's the difference between P90X and Body Beast?

So right before I did Body Beast I did my 2nd round of P90X... and for some reason I thought they would be similar. Two guys making you lift weights, seems like it would be right? They're actually pretty different! Oh and ladies, just because it's P90X or Body Beast doesn't mean its not female friendly. If anything, more women should do these workouts to get that lean and long body we ALL dream of!


  • Body Beast is 12 weeks long
  • P90X is 13 weeks long
  • Both feature free weights
  • One Ab DVD in both (Beast Abs, and P90x Ab Ripper X)
  • You will need a range of weights for both--I suggest bowflex select techs--ladies don't be afraid to go B-I-G! 
  • Resistance bands for pull ups or a pull up bar
  • Both come with meal plans and bonus DVDs =)

Other than those factors, they are VERY different. 

Body Beast: Sagi Kalev is the trainer and features three phases: 
Build (3 weeks, 6 days, 1 day off) building your foundation, learning the workouts and introducing your body to different sets
Bulk(6 weeks, 6 days, 1 day off) size begins to show, muscle definition is more obvious
Beast(3 weeks, 6 days, 1 day off) getting more cut, and chiseled! 

There are two schedules you can choose between BEAST and LEAN BEAST. I obviously chose LEAN. It also comes with supplements if you choose the Challenge Pack which are: Hardcore Base Shake, Super Suma, Fuel Shot, and Creatine! I chose to NOT take the supplements and stick to just Shakeology! 

  • Beast features more of an isolated workout routine, where you use drop set, super set, and increasing your weights with each set (you do 15 reps of one weight, then 12, then 8). You also use a workout bench or stability ball for your workouts. 
  • One cardio DVD---the  cardio DVD is pretty tough, I love that it has squats. However, it's only 30 minutes--which to some people is GREAT (cuz you may hate cardio). 
  • Dynamic Set Training is a specific sequence of sets and reps which maximizes the muscle’s time under tension with the goal to exhaust the muscle and to recruit more muscle fiber. Dynamic Set Training is also designed to help enhance your body’s own testosterone production. Testosterone is the primary hormone responsible for developing muscle mass. The more testosterone the body makes, the faster it grows. 
  • Most workouts are less then an hour and average about 45 mins, you focus on ONE body part at a time!

P90X: Tony Horton is obviously a house hold name when it comes to Beachbody... P90X also features three phases and has two schedules: LEAN and BULK. 
  • P90X features three recovery phases in week 4, 8 and 13 which is a great way to REST your body from all the intense workouts
  • Focuses on muscle failure and muscle confusion! Muscle failure is pushing till your absolute last tipping point, the last rep is what will CHANGE your muscles! You are pushing your muscles to the max during these workouts, lifting heavy at low reps.  You want your muscles to fail by the 8th-12th rep so that they then build themselves up stronger to do more the next time you work them. Muscle Confusion features mixing up your workouts every few weeks so you don't create muscle memory which can create stagnant results or a plateau. Plus it keeps it from being boring!
  • Most workouts are 60 minutes long, featuring different areas of the body (Back and Biceps, Legs and Back, etc). You will do a lot of push ups and pull ups. 
  • P90X comes with a YOGA DVD thats 90 minutes long. Yes I know, 90 minutes is a long time, but I encourage you to make it to 45 mins to an hour, your body will thank you, plus you will get a longer leaner look from stretching your muscles (think elongating). 

My personal  opinion, I can't say one is better than the other. At first I REALLY missed P90X because I enjoyed using different body parts, but I LOVE that Body Beast is shorter on workouts so I can get back to my true love of Brazil Butt Lift on the same days. However, if you have never tried Chalene Extreme, that is probably my FAVORITE workout and resistance DVD program (stay tuned for that post). 

Here are my P90X results: 


**this was from Jan 2011-April 2011 I also included 30 days of Insanity AFTER I finished p90x to lean out. =)

I'm on week 4 of Body Beast right now, so stay tuned for my results.


READY for a change? Message me now/friend request me so we can figure out which workout would be best for you!


2 comments :

  1. Thanks! Great info. I'm looking into doing Body Beast and have done P90x. Great results! And I understood everything you said..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbey!

    Question: In P90X, did you do the Lean, or Classic?

    ReplyDelete