Tuesday, June 5, 2012

How to Know If What You are Eating is Good for You!

I get questions and comments saying that " I have no idea what I'm suppose to eat, how do I know if it's any good?" and I just think how CRAZY it is that so many are confused on what to do. And can you blame them? With smart marketing and selling techniques that are out there, a wealth of information that claims one thing, but then another source bashes it, and our messed up food pyramid, how the heck do you know what you are eating is good for you?!

Let's get back to a more simple life... a time when it was black and white and the grey area was nonexistent.

Here are 5 RULES to healthy eating:


1. Shop on the outside/perimeter of the grocery store. Your best bet is to stock up on veggies, fruits, lean meats (try to get grass fed, and free range meats--for more info on this check out Food Inc on Netflix or go to: http://www.takepart.com/foodinc) If you eat grains, find old fashioned oat meal or steel cut oats, quinoa, brown rice, Ezekiel bread and tortillas.

2. Look at the ingredients. Does it have a paragraph of words you can't pronounce? Things like xanthan gum or cellulose? Your foods should have less then 5 ingredients unless of course all the ingredients are natural and you're typically making it from scratch.  What does whole foods mean? Banana, apples, asparagus, organic chicken, free range eggs, brussels sprouts. What do those all have in common? NONE are processed! They are natural!

3. Does it have an expiration date? If so, when? If your food doesn't expire till 2013, and is packed with preservatives, ditch it. If it can be preserved in a can, box, bag for months or a year... imagine the havoc it will have on your organs. And you wonder why you feel like crap? Ta-da! (avoid processed foods like cheese, white and some wheat breads, cookies, crackers, chips, most frozen foods of any kind {except if they have one ingredient such as frozen organic broccoli}, most pastas, canned items with salt or syrups added, etc).

4.  Portion control. Yep, that means the 2 cups of white rice you are eating is TOO much and the two bowls of cereal are going straight to your hips. Ok I know, that might have been harsh, but wake up call! If you eat more then you are suppose to, you are asking for a lot more then just a harsh wake up call, but an extra 15lbs. Try running with an extra 15lbs. It's not easy! For more about portion control go here: http://abigailfix.blogspot.com/2011/06/are-your-eyes-bigger-than-your-stomach.html

5. Get your vitamins/Nutrients/Antioxidants. How do I get mine? Well most of you know me who read this and know that answer. Shakeology. I'm not saying YOU HAVE TO DO THIS, but I'm saying if you want to be healthier, have more energy and feel 10x better it's an option. It's my meal replacement shake that I drink once a day to get my vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and a bunch of other super foods that are holistic and down right sexy. If you want to loose weight, gain muscle, be toned, and fit you have to work on the inside, just as much as you would work on the outside with weight training. I get my nutrition in the easiest way I know how and it's perfect for my routine.

I could have come up with 25 rules. Maybe 50. But I simplicity is KEY. Let's stop complicating it and just think smart, eat smart and workout smart. If you are looking for accountability, a support system and someone to help you reach your goals, that's exactly what I'm here for. As a Beachbody coach and someone who has been there (super confused), I can help you figure out what works for you. We aren't all one shape, size, or cut, but individuals looking for a way to make it work. Find me on FB and message me! I'd love to help you get started. It's free, you have nothing to loose, just a few things to gain!

No comments :

Post a Comment