Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sore After Workouts? Don't worry, I got yo back!

So, I'm on day 2 of Turbofire and can I just say that... wow I can barely move side to side right now. My love handles are on FIRE!! I haven't felt this sore since I got through the first warm up of Insanity back in May of 2010! That's a long time!!


So what can you do for these sore aching muscles? P.S. Being sore is a good thing, that means your body is changing!!


1. Take a hot shower, BATH or hop in a jacuzzi! When I use to play soccer in high school religiously I would take hot epsom salt baths for aching muscles. If I wanted to really soak my sore muscles, I'd get in our jacuzzi and relax for 15 minutes.


2. After a rigorous workout regime, especially anything after 90 days, it's the BEST time to get a massage. Massaging out those hard working muscles, especially the ones that are taking a lot of impact and getting stretched (hamstrings, quads, etc.) is key. Our bodies need rest after tough workout programs like P90X, Turbofire and Insanity!


3. Use a heating pad if you are feeling achey. I know that when my legs are aching, and I really want to avoid taking IB pro fun (can't rely on drugs for everything), I use a heating pad. Cheap, easy to use and heats up quick!


4. Results and Recovery Formula even though it's listed as P90X, it can be used with any workout program that you are doing! Especially high intensity workouts. It's got a 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio meant to rush to the muscles and repair them so you can workout the next day and not suffer! I personally drink it and it's a LIFE SAVER. I didn't this past workout and wish I had because today's HIIT workout was NOT EASY!!

  • Dextrose-based formula for optimum glycogen replenishment*
  • A high Protein Efficiency Ratio (PER) blend to provide the critical building blocks for rapid muscle resynthesis*
  • Vitamins, including antioxidants, to help reduce muscle soreness and assist in repair and growth*

5. STRETCH!!! DO NOT SKIP the stretch after a workout!! One thing you can do that will truly hurt your muscles is doing rigorous stretching before a cardio workout. Just like Tony and Chalene say, do ballistic stretching before hand to warm up the muscles, then at the end of your workout do your in depth stretches because your muscles are already warm and much more pliable, meaning your flexibility is a lot better.


When you skip your stretch, you are putting yourself at risk for major injuries, you need to stretch even the smallest muscles, the ones in your neck, shoulders, feet, you name it. Take care of your body and it will take care of you! 


6. Drink WATER!!! Seriously, if you have a headache, a back ache, a foot ache, an anything ache, get yourself a big glass of H-2-O BABY! Drinking water replenishes your body, especially after you just sweated out a lot of your water after a good workout. I always drink 2 glasses right when I wake up, 1 after a workout, 1 for lunch, 1 for snack, 2 for dinner, and keep going. You need to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces! (I'm 125lbs so I drink at least 65oz)


7. Foam Roller. Two words that saved my muscles after an intense soccer game where I pulled my quad within the first 10 minutes. I drank a ton of water, took Results and Recovery and rolled out my quad for 15 minutes. Heat your muscle up, then roll it out, make sure you are using proper form and really targeting the muscle so you can get the best results! You can find them online or click HERE!


Some soreness is inevitable, just make sure it's the good kind--you know you got a good workout. You don't want to be sore from pulling muscles so don't overexert yourself, always push but not over your limits! If something hurts or doesn't feel right, STOP!

I myself need to go stretch out my muscles, hello foam roller! 

No comments :

Post a Comment