Sunday, May 8, 2011

More than just physical health! My Favorite top 3 Reads to get you mentally prepped!

So as healthy as we need our bodies to be, we need our minds to be as well. I remember in August of 2010 I was feeling lost when it came to what I wanted, confused about my future, worried about money and stressed to the max about the pressure I would soon be under if I didn't find a college for my undergrad.

I hated hearing the question, "What do you want to do for a living?" while I was still so unsure and hoping to make enough money being a waitress. I remember thinking, " I don't freakin know, I just need to find a way to pay for school!" I absolutely LOATHED that question. Especially since my husband who is in the Coast Guard knew exactly what he wanted and went for it. I felt like the tag along wife, not a title I was bearing proudly.

It was time for a change. Corey and I never had it easy in our relationship. Got married at 18 and 20, 6 months after high school, moved a few times, acquired a few animals and finally got a 4 year billet. Halleluja. And if that wasn't overwhelming, switching schools, making new friends, loosing some old ones and trying to find a place that I felt I fit in was difficult to say the least!

After I signed on as a beach body coach, I started a program called 90 Days To Diamond (one that I still like to work on and keep as a motivator for personal success). We were required to read certain material that was not only helpful from a business aspect, but from a personal one as well.

That's when things started REALLY changing for me. Not only was I getting physically fit, but my mental state was morphing into a person who was happy, who became goal oriented, who dreamed big and went for it. So here are my favorite books so far that have helped me.

The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy
and How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

A little background on each:

The Slight Edge-what are you doing that is either moving you forward, or moving you backwards? Is the quality of your life, relationships, finances, religious beliefs continually rising, or declining. There is no steady ground, either you are moving up, or falling short.

Eat That Frog!- Are you a procrastinator? Do you have to do lists that have zero cross marks through them? Are you a slave to time management? Yeah this book is a cure all when it comes to getting the important things done FIRST then working on the other less important tasks. Learn to hone in on the skills you are good at it and do them productively.

How to Win Friends....-this book is awesome in regard to dealing with people. We all can say that we come from crazy families, or we have crazy friends, or maybe we are the crazy ones, but this book helps you learn and enjoy on dealing with all types of people and what you can do that will make people want to know your "secret" when it's common sense!

As I said, I was lost, nervous, worried, stressed you name it. I didn't know what I wanted. I finally came to the conclusion to get my psychology degree for counseling. I wanted to help couples like Corey and I. After I figured that out, started eating better, began p90x, and started reading books that were making a REAL difference in my life, my worries drifted away, the stress became so minimal that I took on new challenges, and my life as well as my marriage improved dramatically.

So if someone were to ask, "So what do you do for a living" I don't have to cringe, I proudly say I am  a beach body coach that helps other people achieve fitness, health and well being. When they ask, "what do you want to do for a living?" I can say, "I'm doing it."

We are governed by our thoughts, which can turn into actions, which overtime become habits, which become us.
Think positive, do positive, repeat and be remembered as such!

No comments :

Post a Comment