Monday, May 19, 2014

My Personal Leg Day Routine


It's no secret I have a thing for leg day, Carrie Underwood's legs, and Instagram account featuring kick ass lower body workouts. 

I don't know what it is about legs, but I feel like they really pull a toned body together, like the bow on a present. Some may say it's nice abs, but I've always been about the legs and booty. 

Also, most women like myself tend to gain and carry their weight in their lower bodies FIRST -- whereas men tend to carry it in their midsection. 

So if you're bottom heavy, and you're personal anthem is "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen, well then... welcome to our club. We squat heavy, and jump a lot.

I was really tired of being self conscious of this area, and I knew it was going to take time. And if you're wondering 'how much time?' just adopt this principle: EVERYDAY IS LEG DAY.

Trust me on that. 

So first things first, if you want a lower body that is long, strong and got it going on-- you need to understand that adding weight to your workouts is KEY. You can squat all day, but if there's nothing more than your body resistance, you won't see those results you are looking for.

Also, never EVER sacrifice FORM for REPS! If you're struggling and your knee is about to go over your toe, maybe give yourself a minute rest and have at it when you're back to full power!


My personal lower body workout routines: 
(on days where I'm not doing an at home program)

Warm up: 
  • Regular squats - 10 reps
  • Sumo squats -  10 reps
  • Sumo Burpees- 10 (sigh, I know burpees sucks, but they wake up your whole body)
  • Roll out your ankles/hamstring stretch/downward dog -- just get that body nice and warm!
Either grab a weighted EZ bar, the Smith Machine OR a heavy set of hand weights 

  • Regular weighted squats - 3 sets of 12-15 reps 
    • *I prefer doing this on the squat machine/smith machine or using an EZ bar -- having weight rested on your shoulders vs. holding hand weights creates a different type of resistance
  • Elevated Sumo Squats- grab a kettle bell or heavy weight and with your feet in a wide stance on top of risers or benches, squat down -- 3 sets of 12-15 reps 
  • Straight Leg Deadlift/Deadlift Rope/Cable Pull - 3 sets of 12-15 reps
  • Bulgarian Lunges - 3 sets of 10 reps 
  • Alt. Side Lunges - 2 sets of 12 reps each side
  • Curtsey Lunges - Either alt sides with lower weight, OR isolate one side with higher weight
  • Stability Ball Hip Thrusts - 3 sets of 15 
  • Stability Ball Hamstring Roll Ins - 3 sets of 15
  • Donkey Kicks with ankle weights or cables 

As time goes, I will come back here and update my Leg Day and Booty Day Routine-- right now this is a brief overview of what I've been doing so far to get my results! 


Don't forget to check out my fitness Instagram account for short workout tutorials @fromflabtofabfitness 

www.instagram.com/fromflabtofabfitness =)

Chat soon guys! 





No comments :

Post a Comment